BJP expels Unnao rape accused MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar
Political

BJP expels Unnao rape accused MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar

The major development in the case comes days after a truck with a smudged number plate hit the car carrying the victim who accused Sengar of raping her. Two of the Unnao rape victim’s aunts were killed in the accident while she and her lawyer were admitted to a hospital in critical condition.

At a time when the Supreme Court has decided to transfer all the cases related to the Unnao rape out of Uttar Pradesh to Delhi, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has expelled the rape accused MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar from the party.

The major development in the case comes days after a speeding truck with a smudged number plate hit the car carrying the victim who accused Sengar of raping her. Two of the Unnao rape victim’s aunts were killed in the accident while she and her lawyer were admitted to a hospital in critical condition.

Earlier, many opposition party leaders had slammed the BJP for not taking action against the suspended Bangarmau MLA who has been jailed since 2018 in relation to the case. However, the BJP has finally expelled Sengar from the party.

The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) had booked Kuldeep Singh Sengar and 10 others on murder charges in the accident case of 19-year-old Unnao rape survivor.

Soon after the FIR was filed, a team of officers from the CBI’s Lucknow unit reached the Gurubakshganj area of Rae Bareli, where the accident occurred.

The FIR was registered on a complaint by Mahesh Singh, the victim’s uncle who is currently lodged in a prison in Rae Bareli.

The rape survivor’s family also alleged that the family has been under constant pressure from the kin of Sengar after he was suspended from the party. Mahesh Singh even alleged that Sengar’s kin had been threatening to kill the entire family if the case against him was not withdrawn.

Meanwhile, the Chief Justice of India (CJI) Ranjan Gogoi will pass the orders to transfer the case to Delhi at 2 pm today.

The CJI has also ordered the CBI to complete investigation into the accident within the next seven days and added that the chargesheet in the accident investigation needs to be filed in a Delhi court.

Inquiring about the condition of the rape survivor after the accident, the CJI also said, “If she is in any position to be moved, we will order her to be airlifted to AIIMs.”

However, the latest bulletin from King George’s Medical University, where the victim and her lawyer were admitted after the accident, indicates that both of them remain in critical condition.

CJI Gogoi also slammed the SC secretary general for not bringing to light the letter written by the rape survivor’s family on July 12. He was referring to a letter written by the Unnao rape victim’s family on the aforementioned date, weeks before the accident on July 28. The letter had alleged a conspiracy, adding that all of their lives were in danger.

To this, the secretary general said, “We received 6,800 letter petitions this month. It was being vetted. Once we found out about the case we placed it before the courts. We did not know the name of the victim and her family. Once we found out about it we placed it before the court.”

The CJI also slammed the Uttar Pradesh government and asked it to pay immediate compensation to the victim.

We need your support to survive in the media industry. Please consider paying us for the content we produce: