Syed Akbaruddin is an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer of 1985 officer and is currently serving as India’s Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the UN.
- Syed Akbaruddin is India’s permanent representative at the UN
- He is an Indian Foreign Service Officer (IFS) of 1985 batch
- Akbaruddin also served as Director of Foreign Secretary’s Office at MEA
He is the man of the moment. Syed Akbaruddin, India’s Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the UN, effectively countered the propaganda sponsored by Pakistan in the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) which held a closed-door consultation on Kashmir after India abrogated Article 370.
After the meeting on Kashmir called by China on the request of Pakistan, Syed Akbaruddin termed the issue India’s internal matter. He also answered questions of the international journalists on the issue.
So who is Syed Akbaruddin
- Syed Akbaruddin is India’s permanent representative at the UN since January 2016.
- He is an Indian Foreign Service Officer (IFS) of 1985 batch.
- He also served as Director of Foreign Secretary’s Office of the Ministry of External Affairs from 2004 to 2005.
- Syed Akbaruddin also served as the official spokesperson of the Ministry of External Affairs from January 2012 to April 2015.
- He also played an important role when he served as the coordinator of the India-Africa summit in 2015.
- Syed Akbaruddin played an instrumental role at UN when Jaish-e-Mohammad chief Masood Azhar was designated as an international terrorist.
- He also served a four-year deputation at the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) in Vienna from 2006-2011.
- Syed Akbaruddin also served at the Indian Mission to the United Nations as First Secretary during 1995-98. During his tenure, he focused on UN Security Council Reform and Peace-Keeping.
- Proficient in Arabic, Akbaruddin was a Counsellor at the Indian High Commission in Islamabad.
- He has a Master’s Degree in Political Science and International Relations.
- Mr Akbaruddin is married to Ms Padma Akbaruddin and the couple has two sons.